Are you looking for a healthy vegan alternative to sugary, fatty and calorie-dense foods? Sourcing such commodities can be a challenge, especially when you throw the vegan element into the mix! Fortunately for you, these low sugar vegan protein bars will have you questioning how you survived without them in your life!
All of the products listed have an exemplary nutritional profile that don’t compromise on flavour. The days of having to gnaw on a rubbery, artificial-tasting protein bar are long gone. Additionally, munching on a tasty protein bar that’s also loaded with sugar is no longer a necessity. So if you’re looking for a snack that’s low in sugar, helps you meet your protein macros, provide a convenient, quick snack, and keep you feeling full and satisfied, then you’ve come to the right place.
With these vegan protein snack ideas, I sought products that either met or achieved close results to the +353 nutritional value rule. This includes having less than 3g fat per 100g, less than 5g sugar per 100g and under 0.3g salt per 100g. Additionally, to ensure you’re being calorie savvy and not sacrificing an enormous amount of calories on a snack, all of these munch ideas come in at less than 200 calories.
There’s something here for everyone, whether you’re looking for vegan properties, nutrient-dense snacks, gluten-free foods or perhaps you’re looking for a bar that’s both lactose-free and dairy-free. Read on to find out which one tickles your fancy!
Awarded the accolade of number 1 Vegan Protein Bar by Women’s Running Magazine, 2020, this fun and tasty bar really does tick all the boxes. If that award is not enough to convince you, then like me, you’ll be checking out the reviews. Spoiler alert: they’re all glowing appraisals of the bar. People seem to love everything about the protein bar, from the vibrant packaging to the taste, but most people are especially in awe of the macronutrients that this bar possesses.
Most lean bars are typically under 200 calories, this one comes in at 197 calories, it also boasts a remarkable 15g protein per serving. What I also love about this Ridiculous vegan protein bar is that the sugar levels are low, 0.8g per bar! It also packs a decent 7.6g fibre per bar!
- High in protein to keep you full and your satiety levels high
- High in fibre to aid in supporting a healthy digestive system
- Very low in sugar
- Free of palm oil
- Free of artificial colours, flavours or preservatives
- Naturally sweetened
- Fully plant-based ingredients
- 100% vegan bar that uses sustainable ingredients to minimise the environmental impact
- Chocolate caramelicious
- Wild chocolate peanut
|Values Based On||Per 100g
|of which Saturates (g)||8.0||3.8|
|of which Sugars (g)||1.6||0.8|
Tip: These come in boxes of 9 bars which would make an excellent gift for yourself or someone in your life!
This is another winner for those seeking an alternative to a sugar-laden treat. I took a dive into the customer reviews again and I’m almost afraid to buy these as they sound so tasty and addictive! People love the flavours and the texture, which is described as soft and chewy. Numerous reviewers also applaud the fact that these healthy indulgences are an ideal way to curb their chocolate cravings without sacrificing on taste.
Again, I’m astounded that a vegan bar can pack so much nutrition into a snack without introducing excessive levels of sugar, fat or calories. Speaking of the nutritional profile, these mouth-watering bars provide 14.4g protein per bar which makes it an excellent contender for the Ridiculous vegan protein bar mentioned above. These vegan protein cravers also pack 10.3g of fibre per serving.
- High protein content for increased satiety levels and to support growth and repair of the body
- Protein blend is made from premium-quality soy protein, white hemp and wheat protein
- High in fibre for a healthy digestive system
- Extremely low in sugar with just 0.9g sugar per serving
- Low in saturated fat
- Free of dairy
- 100% vegan
- Salted caramel sensation
- Chocolate avalanche
|Values based on:||per 100g||per 50g|
|of which Saturates (g)||4.6||2.3|
|of which Sugars (g)||1.8||0.9|
This is certain one that you should go ‘nuts’ for, literally! Any of you who have had granola bars in the past know just how high in sugar and calories that they can be. Let’s not forget that these are marketed as so-called ‘healthy snacks’, but in reality, you’re often better off reaching for a bar of chocolate! Fortunately for you, this is where the Protein Crunkie dons it’s cape and rescues the day!
Now although this bar is a tad high on sugar, unlike most granola bars (or bars in general), this Protein Crunkie packs in over double the quantity of protein and reduces the sugar content by as much as 75% when compared to other granola bars. That’s not all though, it also achieves this commendable triumph while achieving reduced calories and also delivering on flavour. Each 45g bar provides 10.4g protein, 6.4g fibre, 2.3g saturated fat and 4.5g sugar, all of this in just 168 calories.
- One of the highest protein granola-style bars available
- Great source of healthy fats
- Excellent source of slow-releasing energy to power you through whatever life throws at you
- Vegan-friendly convenient snack
- Nutritionally-balance bar which ensure you don’t experience any sugar dips or highs throughout the day
- 100% vegetarian
- Lactose-free and dairy-free
- Apple and cinnamon collision: Sensations of fruit, oats, spices and chocolates
- Coconut and apricot melee: Hints of coconut intertwined with sweet apricot and oats
- Cranberry and goji hubbub: One for the berry lovers
|Values based on:||Per 100g||Per 45g Crunkie|
|of which Saturates (g)||5.0||2.3|
|of which Sugars (g)||10.0||4.5|
Tip: Buying these in packs as opposed to individually can save you as much as 30% per bar, and that’s not factoring in delivery costs! It also makes an excellent gift for the vegan, snacker or health-conscious person in your life!
When it comes to nutritional bars, the No Cow bar really does deliver a solid macronutrient profile. It’s almost unbelievable how much protein and fibre they have managed to pack into these 60g bars; that’s not even considering that they are vegan bars. These bars provide a whopping 19g per bar, which is probably the highest fibre content I’ve ever seen in a protein bar!
Some of the flavours even have little chocolate chips in them for a little texture and taste treat! In terms of reviews, they are generally glowing and consumers tend to love the texture and flavours, particularly the cookie dough flavours. They do contain sugar alcohols, but fortunately these are from natural sources, such as stevia and monk fruit.
- Premium-quality blend of brown rice protein powder and pea protein bowder
- Surprisingly low in sugar with 2g or less per bar
- Exceptionally high in fibre to assist in bowel movements and supporting a healthy digestive system
- Very high protein content for a vegan bar
- Free of soy ingredients
- Dairy-free ingredients
- Free of refined sugar
- Made solely of vegan, plant-based ingredients
- Free of artificial sweeteners and flavourings
- Free of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
- Contains no gluten
- Blueberry cobbler
- Mint chocolate chip
- Peanut butter cookie dough
|Flavour:||Blueberry cobbler||Mint chocolate chip||
Peanut butter cookie dough
|Values based on:|
|of which Saturates (g)||5.0||2||2|
|of which Sugars (g)||2||2||2|
Did you know? 95% of the US population are not meeting their recommended daily targets of fibre! This deficiency can lead to diabetes, strokes and even heart disease.
- Protein bars are an ideal substitute for treats high in sugar, fat and calories
- Ideal nutritional markers for bars include having less than 200 calories, less than 3g fat per 100g, less than 5g sugar per 100g and under 0.3g salt per 100g
- Buying boxes of protein bars can save you 30% + on costs compared with purchasing them individually
- The above vegan bars can help you reduce your sugar intake while also keeping you energised throughout the day
I hope you enjoyed the review of low sugar vegan protein bars and found at least one that made you drool! It’s such a relief to see that you can finally get great-tasting bars that are low in sugar, high in protein and don’t have the texture or taste of a rubber boot! What’s your favourite vegan protein bar from the list? I love the Ridiculous vegan protein bar personally, what’s not to love about it!
If you feel like broadening your horizons in terms of food or if you struggle to include protein in all your meals (yes, that’s a must!), then hop on over to how to cook with protein powder – vital tips for success. Here, you’ll uncover a multitude of innovative and easy ways to use protein powder to elevate the protein content in your meals while doing so in a tasty way.
Do you eat vegan protein bars or have you had bad experiences in the past? As always, I can’t wait to hear your thoughts and opinions below.
Belluz, J., 2019. Nearly All Americans Fail To Eat Enough Of This Actual Superfood. [online] Vox. Available at: https://www.vox.com/2019/3/20/18214505/fiber-diet-weight-loss [Accessed 26 September 2020].
Ie.theproteinworks.com. 2020. The Protein Works Ireland | Premium Sports Nutrition & Innovation. [online] Available at: https://ie.theproteinworks.com/ [Accessed 26 September 2020].
Tesco.ie. 2020. [online] Available at: https://www.tesco.ie [Accessed 26 September 2020].